Summary: If you are sending an email for work, most probably, you are using Outlook. You might wonder why my first answer was Outlook when I heard about professional email. So, in this blog, we will discuss about Outlook and saving emails from Outlook to Hard Drive. But before we proceed further, let us know why it is important to backup emails from Outlook to external hard drive.
Why Should You Archive Emails from Outlook to Hard Drive?
Undoubtedly, Outlook is the first choice of professionals because it makes it easy to organize any task on time. But having a backup of any data is the wisest move because you can’t rely on a machine to blindfold you. So, you must have a backup for these files or folders. There are several other benefits of saving Outlook emails to a hard drive like:
- Storage: As we know, what data matters to us? Keeping it safe is the first responsibility of any person. Archiving data is the safest option because sometimes you delete the unwanted data, and by mistake, if our important data is deleted, then it will be a major concern to us.
- Restore: We know that the archive is the place where you can store your data and can restore it at any time.
- Security: If your data is archived to a hard drive then it is secure from various threats like Malware attacks, online attacks, etc.
Best Methods to Save Outlook Emails to Hard Drive
There are various manual methods for saving emails from Outlook to Hard Drive. Let us learn some manual approaches to execute these.
Method 1: Save Outlook Emails in Different File Formats
It is always better to keep your secured data and you can secure your files in multiple file formats like Text Only, Outlook Template, HTML, MHT files, etc. by following the steps.
- Run Outlook > choose an account > select a message that you wish to export.
- Go to the File tab and choose Save As.
- Now choose the format from the drop-down list in which you wish to export your Outlook file.
- Choose the destination and assign a file name for your resultant file, then click on the Save button.
- Finally, your file is converted into your chosen file format.
- Reach the destination that you have to select for your resultant file.
Method 2: Save Outlook emails as PDFs.
This is one of the best methods of saving emails from Outlook to Hard Drive. It is very simple to execute.
- Simply, open Outlook > select account > Choose Message.
- After selecting the message, choose File > Print.
- Next, manage the settings as per your needs.
- Finally, hit the Print icon and select the destination and assign a file name.
- Your output file is saved in PDF format, which you can retrieve at any time, any place without any internet connection.
Method 3: Copying PST files to External Hard Drive
It is one of the best-known methods that can execute the steps with simple steps.
- Open Outlook, and select the account with which you wish to proceed.
- Next, select email/folder and right-click to select the copy option.
- Go to the selected destination and simply click the Paste option.
- Your selected email/folder will be visible at your chosen location.
Method 4: Export Outlook mailbox to PST While Connected With Exchange
When you sign in Outlook with the Exchange server, it creates the OST files. However, when you export the Outlook mailbox into a local drive the file format is PST. Follow the steps to do so:
- Start Outlook > File > Open & Export > Import/Export.
- In the next Import/Export wizard select Export to a file, then Next.
- Now choose a file type as PST.
- Select the account, then folder that you wish to migrate, and click.
- Next Browse the file to assign a destination and file name for your resultant folder.
- Manage the options of Duplicate and hit Finish.
- Protect your file with password.
Finally, your OST file is converted to PST and now you can save it to any hard drive.
Method 5: Save Outlook emails by Using the Import/Export Wizard
Import/Export is one of the most secure and widely used options to save emails from Outlook to Hard Drive. Follow the below steps to continue with this process:
- Launch Outlook > File > Open & Export > Import/Export.
- In the next wizard, select Export to a file, then Next.
- Next, select a file type to create your file. Choose as PST.
- Select the account, then the folder that you wish to export from, and click Next.
- Browse the file and assign a destination and name for your final file.
- Then select the options to duplicate as per your requirement, then hit Finish.
- Enter your password for your file.
Now, your Outlook emails will be saved as PST files on the hard drive.
Note: The above methods can be used for the application-based client. But if you are using Outlook.live.com. Then, in this case, you can back up Outlook.com mailbox emails using a Print Option or configure the Outlook.com account with a desktop email client. However, you can also use the Hotmail Backup Tool’s third-party solution to download or back up Outlook.com mailbox emails locally.
Saving emails from Outlook to Hard Drive With a Professional Tool
Hotmail Backup Tool can manage the task of saving emails from Outlook.com to Hard Drive effortlessly without causing any loss to your data. Additionally, this software allows users to download and backup emails in multiple file formats like PST, PDF, EML, EMLX, MBOX, etc.
Features of software:
- The tool is highly compatible with saving emails from Outlook to local storage in multiple file formats like PDF, PST, CSV, EML, EMLX, etc.
- Able to extract attachments in a separate folder from Hotmail and other email accounts like Outlook.com, MSN.com, and Live.com.
- It runs on all the versions of Windows OS including Windows 11 makes it versatile in the market.
- This software is also able to migrate Hotmail emails to different email clients like Gmail, Zoho Mail, Amazon Webmail, etc.
Simple Steps to Save Outlook emails to hard drive as PST
- Start the software as an administrator.
- Enter the required credentials to sign in.
- Next wizard loaded with tree structure.
- Select the folder that you wish to migrate and choose file format like PST.
- Check the options of removing duplicate emails, maintaining folder hierarchy, storing attachments separately, etc as per your requirements.
- You can also enable the Mail filter and task filter to select a date range for backup.
- Then assign a name for the output folder and select the destination for it.
- Next, click the Path To Save button and then the Convert button to start the saving process.
- Finally, download the output file at your desired location.
By following these simple steps you can complete the process with saving emails from Outlook to Hard Drive.
After unleashing Outlook’s prominent features, we have described some manual methods and technical approaches for saving emails from Outlook to Hard Drive. We have manual approaches but it requires lots of time and effort. Contrary, the technical approach gives a highly accurate result in less time. and can be run by any non-professional.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to save Outlook 2010 emails to hard drive?
Ans-Launch Outlook> File>Open & Export >Import/Export >Export to a file> Next.
Select Browse to assign a file name and destination for your file, Choose USB Flash drive as the save location then click save, and at last Finish.
2. How to save multiple emails from Outlook to hard drive?
Ans-Start Outlook and select the account then the folder that you wish to backup. After selecting the folder, simply right-click and select Save and paste the folder where you want to save your desired location.
3. How to Saving Outlook emails to hard drive with attachments?
Ans-Start Outlook> File>Open & Export >Import/Export >Export to a file> Next.
And if you want to secure your data, then you can also enter a password for your file.