PST files of MS Outlook contain all the data of the mailbox. These files are not bounded by limitations so, many users who created multiple PST files in the small sizes on the older MS Outlook versions search multiple PST file merge methods to merge them into a large PST file to use as a single entity with newer MS Outlook versions.
In earlier versions of Outlook if a PST file was more than a certain limit then the file did not work properly and started experiencing corruption, degrading performance, etc. issues. But later Microsoft has resolved this issue in the newer versions of MS Outlook such as Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007. So, this is the reason to merge Outlook PST files into a big PST file. In this blog, we will know only how to merge PST files Outlook 2016, 2013 & 2010. Follow to the end.
Why do We Need to Combine PST Files Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010 ?
There are some circumstances when it is necessary to merge many PST files into a single PST file. See them below.
- If you are merging multiple old account’s PST files into one.
- If amalgamation of work and social accounts is taking place.
- To take the back up of existing accounts.
- To migrate to a different service or exchange. etc.
Manual Method to Merge Outlook PST Files into a Single PST File
There is the limitation using the manual method because you can merge only a single PST file at once and you have to repeat the same process again and again for each PST file which may lead to cannot create Outlook data file(.pst) error. However, to combine PST files Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, follow these steps:
Step 1: Create a new blank PST file
See below, to create a new blank PST file:
- Open Outlook and click on New Items tab then from the drop-down menu choose More Items >> Outlook Data File.
- Select a place where you want to save the new blank PST file and provide a name for it. Click on OK.
Step 2: Merge all existing PST files into the newly created blank PST file
To merge Outlook files into the newly created blank PST file, follow the steps below:
- In the MS Outlook click File >> Open >> Import.
- After opening the Import and Export Wizard inside the Choose an action to perform: Import from another program or file. Then click Next.
- Now in the Import a file table Select file type to import from: Outlook Data File (.pst). Click Next.
- Click on Browse to locate the file to be imported.
- Check the Do not import duplicates box. Click Next.
- Select the folder which you wish to import.
- Check in the boxes Include sub-folders and Import items into the same folder. Click Finish.
An Automated Method to Merge Outlook PST files into a Single PST File
As we saw the limitation of the Manual method so, PST Merger Software utility is the best option for this issue. This utility helps to merge multiple Outlook PST files into a single consolidated file at once in no time. The software enables to join PST, combine PST or merge PST and its data items like contacts, calendar, notes, journals, etc. into a new single PST file maintaining data integrity without any loss.
It removes duplicate items while merging PST files in Outlook and avoid any problem user facing to open Outlook items. This utility is also widely compatible with all the versions of the Windows Operating System. So, try this utility for the smooth and easy merging of multiple PST files at once.
In the above-mentioned blog, I have discussed two methods to merge Outlook PST files into single PST file in Outlook 2016 & 2013. Both the methods work fine and you can choose and follow those methods according to your needs. Thanks for visiting this blog, I hope you found it interesting.