Summary: The article explains the error “Cannot open particular Outlook items when offline” in Outlook, reasons that make the occurrence of the error and the possible solutions to resolve the error. This error makes MS Outlook OST files inaccessible to the users. So, let’s discuss about it.
In today’s world, Outlook has been recognized as the most widely used email client in the organizations across the globe. It saves all the information in the form of OST and PST files. An OST file stands for offline storage table, which is a copy of Exchange server mailboxes on your local system. It reflects that OST files are created only when MS Outlook is configured with the Exchange Server. But, sometimes, like other email clients, Outlook also throws some frequent errors.One such error message is “cannot open particular Outlook items when Offline” that makes the users cannot access OST files. Through the blog, I’ll discuss all about this error. So, let’s dig out the reasons for this error.
Reasons that makes OST files corrupt
OST files may corrupt due to several reasons. In this scenario, the error cannot open particular items when offline might be displayed and the OST files become inaccessible to the users. So, it is necessary to find out the actual reasons for the occurrence of the error. Some of the reasons are listed as:
- Network Failure
- Power Failure
- Abnormal termination of Outlook
- Improper Handling
- Corruption in file system
- Malware and Virus Attacks
- Damaged Offline Folder
Methods to troubleshoot the error “Cannot open particular Outlook items when offline” Error
Whatever be the reason behind the error cannot open particular Outlook items when offline, there are many reliable solution to fix it. Let’s discuss them.
#1 Rebuild the OST file from server
If you notice corruption in OST files and encounter an error “cannot open particular Outlook items when offline”, the first thing you have to do is delete the corrupted OST file and download it again from the Exchange Server. After that, it is recommended to export data to PST file and delete the OST file. Further, import the PST file into new OST file with the help of Import and Export wizard. This wizard prevent the duplicate contents in the PST file to be exported.
- First, go to File tab, click on Open and then hit a click on Import
- Next, select the Import from another program or file option and then click Next
- Now, choose Outlook data file (.pst) option from the list of options and then click Next
- Click on Browse and locate the PST file you wish to export
- Select the option Do not import duplicates and hit Next
- Next, select the folder to which you want to import the data to under Select destination folder and click on Next
- At last, click on Finish
# 2 Run the OST integrity tool
In Outlook 2007 and previous versions, you can simply use inbuilt scanOST.exe to resolve the OST errors. Process to run this tool is as follows:
- click on the scanost.exe to run this Microsoft inbuilt utility.
- Then, you will be asked to choose the profile.
- Now, choose the appropriate profile that contains the damaged OST file.
- The tool will prompt you to either connect or work offline. Click on connect.
- Select the options accordingly and click on the Repair error checkbox.
- At last, click on the Begin Scan option.
Limitations of scanOST.exe
OST integrity tool i.e. scanOST has some sorts of limitations as:
- ScanOST can fix only minimal corruption in OST files. However, it fails to fix severe corruption errors and issues in the file.
- There is a threat of data loss with this tool. So, it is recommended to backup the OST file before using scanOST.exe application.
#3 Conversion of OST to PST
If you have used the above explained manual methods and still facing “cannot open particular Outlook items when offline” error, the only solution left is to migrate your OST to PST file format. For this, you can trust a third-party OST to PST Converter. It is a reliable and efficient tool that will make your Outlook emails accessible to you.
There are several reasons due to which OST files get corrupted and become inaccessible to the users displaying an error message “cannot open particular Outlook items when Offline”. There are many reasons covered in this write up. Also, we have discussed three relevant methods to repair OST file issue. You can go through any of them as per your convenience.