Article Summary: The article illustrates all about the OST and PST files, ways to convert OST to PST Outlook 2016. It also describes how to open OST files in MS Outlook including all the possible approaches.
Microsoft Outlook had categorized its data files into two types: OST and PST files. OST files contain data downloaded from offline Exchange Server while PST files contain data stored in personal folders. If you want to copy your offline data to another computer, you’ll have to either configure the email client to connect to the server and create a new OST file or have to convert the OST file to PST file format.
Outlook OST vs PST
OST or offline storage table (.ost) file, is an offline Outlook Data File that is used by Microsoft Exchange Server which enables users to work with mail data even when the mail server is inaccessible. OST files facilitate the users with an option that enables a local copy of all the mail data to be stored on the user’s computer and these items are automatically synced folders when access to the mail server is restored.
PST or personal storage table (.pst) file, is a Microsoft Outlook Data File that creates storage of user’s Outlook data for POP3, IMAP, and web-based mail accounts. These files include all the items within the folders, such as emails, email attachments, events, journals, contacts, and many more. These PST files are used by all versions of MS Outlook. In earlier versions of Outlook, these files were used to be stored in ANSI format while later versions (Outlook 2003 onwards) save the PST file in Unicode format.
Why to Convert OST to PST Outlook 2016
Let us dig out some reasons that led the users to convert OST to PST file format.
- Sometimes, Exchange Server gets crashed unexpectedly displaying errors and make mail data inaccessible.
- During server downtime and maintenance, users have to import OST file to Outlook to access it.
- Recovery of all the mail data on the Exchange Server can be done using this process.
- While syncing, OST files might get corrupted and .ost file become inaccessible.
- While working, some frequent errors arise. To overcome that, this process is helpful.
How to Convert OST to PST in Outlook 2016
To access Outlook data files without any glitches, one must convert Outlook OST to PST file format. You can take the help of the below-mentioned manual methods.
Method 1- Using Import/Export wizard
One of the most authentic methods is exporting OST files to PST files. It is one of the remarkable options to convert OST to PST Outlook 2016. You can follow these steps for this:
- Open MS Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, or any other previous version
- Go to the ‘File’ menu in the menu bar and select the ‘Import & Export’option
- An ‘Import and Export Wizard’ will be opened, select ‘Export to a File’
- After that, select ‘Outlook data file’(PST) format from the given options
- Ensure that you have selected the checkbox associated to ‘Include subfolders’ and Click on Finish.
All your mailbox data will be transferred or moved to another location on your computer once it is available in PST format.
Method 2- Using Archiving method
Outlook facilitates the users to Archive data by moving the OST mailbox folders to PST file format. It also helps you to increase Outlook mailbox size The process can be completed in the following steps:
- Open MS Outlook application.
- Click on ‘File’ menu and select ‘Archive’
- Select the folder(s) or file(s) that needs to be archived
- Choose destination location for Archive storage on computer
- Now, Click on ‘Finish’
Method 3- Drag and Drop mailbox items
Using the method of Drag and Drop mailbox items from OST to PST file format is one of the best ways to move data from OST file to Outlook PST. To accomplish this, you’ll need to make a blank PST file in Outlook and then drag and drop the desired items from the OST mailbox to a newly created PST file.
But, there are certain limitations associated with the drag and drop method. You will have to repeat the process for every mail item that needs to be moved to the PST mailbox. This process is very time-consuming and has to be done with utmost care as a single mistake may lead to data corruption.
Limitations to Manual Methods
However, manual methods are useful to the users in many ways. But, at the same time, there are limitations with them which are:
- Difficult to change inbox, contacts, and calendars to PST format.
- Users may need to create a new Outlook data file to reorganize the data.
- Individual file conversion may take a longer time for completion.
- A small mistake may lead to data corruption and loss.
Using OST to PST Wizard
These manual methods might be effective for some users, but for some others, it may not be helpful. So, there is an alternative solution for them. In that scenario, they can use a professional Microsoft OST to PST Converter. This is one of the reliable and authentic methods to convert OST to PST Outlook 2016. Also, this software focuses on data integrity to prevent the loss of data. Some of the advanced features of this OST to PST Converter are:
- Repairs and Restores all the Outlook mailbox data including emails, Calendars, Contacts, etc.
- No size limitations for PST file recovery.
- Saves output files into multiple formats such as PST, MBOX, MSG, DBX, and EML.
- Supports both encrypted and password-protected Outlook PST files.
- Fast scanning mode enables to scan files swiftly.
- Intuitive GUI, which makes it easier to handle for novice users.
- Strongly compatible with all the versions of MS Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003 and 2002, etc
The blog stated all the possible methods to convert OST to PST Outlook 2016 in the best possible way. There were manual methods that do not involve any cost but require utmost care and are time-consuming. Those, who do not have that sort of time can try a professional OST to PST Converter. Hope this article helps all the users seeking an effective method for how to change OST to PST without deleting or rebuilding OST file. Thanks for visiting this blog.